The diagram can be completed in two ways:
1. If you have a LinkNotions account, you can copy the above encyclopedia in your account and you can modify it as you like.
2. You make suggestions to LinkNotions.
If you spot inconsistencies please notify LinkNotions by email: firstname.lastname@example.org. The world is in no way complete and can easily be built upon.
Film: The world of Jazz; an interactive encyclopedia (3:19)
The diagram is divided into seven categories (domains):
– Cities/Areas: Influential cities and areas in the development of jazz music.
– Instruments: The instruments played by the musicians.
– Era: Timeline in decades.
– Styles: Various sub-genres (styles) of jazz music.
– Key Locations: Influential and/or famous locations in jazz music.
– Musicians: The artists and musicians that performed jazz music.
– Bands: Jazz bands.
There are 15 different kinds of links between the notions:
- Has played with: this link shows that one artist has performed or recorded with another. There is no particular ranking attached to the names. Due to the length of some artists careers they have played with large numbers of musicians, not all artist is complete and more links are to be added.
- Instrument played: The main instruments played by the artist.
- Played this style: The main styles of music this musician played/ was known for. Although we try to be accurate and take into account ideology you can always modify these with a licence.
- Group leader: Lead his own band/ Leader of the selected band.
- Creator of this style: Created or helped develop the selected musical style in a an active way. Had an influence on the way the style was established.
- Area where this style originated: Location where the style of jazz first came into existence or majorly started.
- Era during which most prominent: For musicians and bands these show the decades during which they encountered the most commercial or musical or critical success. These in no way mean that they did not perform before or after these decades. Many artists performed well into their old age. For styles of music this shows the decade when the style came to light.
- Operating years: For key locations these are the years during which they were in business or had most success. For Band this is the time during which they performed.
- Well known hangouts: Place that where musicians and artists would meet/perform. Centers of jazz.
- Resident gig: If an artist has had multiple concerts or been booked over a period of time in this location.
- From: For musicians the location they are born in. For bands the location they formed or the decade where the band started playing (continuing forward through the decades).
- Location: Location in which the club/area/city is in.
- Husband/wife: Married couple.
- Era when invented: Decade during which this style was invented or started.
- Lived here: City or area where this musician lived.
Hoping this can help bring an insightful look into the world of jazz we remind you that this diagram is not final and can be modified, completed, restructured and amended. To do so, open it in edit mode in your LinkNotions account.
Create your LinkNotions account: